Figuring out what you want sounds like an easy task, but often times it’s not. Think about it, when was the last time you couldn’t decide what you wanted to eat for dinner?
That is a minor example, but there are much bigger situations where it really matters. Figuring out what you want to do with your life is one of the most important things you can do. This also might change through the years so if you ever become unhappy, you should always re-evaluate what you want.
Getting inside your own head to figure all of this out is a skill though and it’s a skill that most people haven’t perfected.
THAT’S OK THOUGH!
I have 14 prompts/questions here to help you get to the bottom of YOU. Download the free worksheet below too!
These can tell you a lot about yourself, whether it’s finding a new career path, a new hobby, or just understanding what makes you truly happy so you can make some changes in your life to incorporate those things.
1. List activities you used to do as a child, aka “What did you love to do when you were 10 years old?”
Write them down and analyze each one. See if any themes emerge. Were most of your activities creative? Scientific? Outdoors? Indoors? Alone or in a group?
2. List 5 genuine strengths:
These should be detailed, specific strengths. Think sentences, not single words like nice, patient, etc.
3. List things that make you squeal with delight:
Even if you are not in a good place right now and can’t think of anything recently that has done this, think back to your childhood, or any time you remember as a happy period.
4. List hissy fit things, things you just really can’t stand:
5. Think of all the jobs you’ve ever ever had. List 1 or 2 things you genuinely enjoyed about each:
6. If I received $10,000 tomorrow that I HAD to spend on myself, I would…
7. I’m most proud that I…
8. In the next year, I really want to…
9. A book that I always re-read is _____, because…
10. A quality I admire most in others is…
11. When people first meet me, I hope they think/feel…
12. One thing I know I need to work on is…
13. Are you jealous of anyone? Why?
First of all, this question comes with a hitch. Be wary that social media can glamorize people’s lives. While it’s ok to look up to some social media icons, just keep that in my mind while answering this.
This can still be a valuable tool though. If you identify WHY you are jealous of these people, actual tangible things, you might figure out the direction you want your life to go.
For example: Is it because they own their own business so they have flexible hours and can work from home? Is it because they are in great shape? Is it because they always seem to be out and having fun?
14. Something I can do today that will make me feel good is…
Writing down your answers really helps with this exercise and it honestly makes a difference. Even if you think it’s silly, give it a try.
Sign up here to get a FREE printout worksheet AND gain access to all of my brutally honest answers to these questions.
Figure Yourself Out - Get The FREE Printout Worksheet
Plus *BONUS* receive my answers to the questions/prompts above.